UARR is seeking a UARR is seeking a creative, curious, and motivated student who is interested in gaining experience with education systems, anti-racism, anti-oppressive work, policy analysis and community outreach. As Youth Organizer you will be working with racialized communities who have been directly impacted by the education system, and coordinating and planning peer outreach activities for youth in the Greater Toronto Area.
This is a part-time contract for 15 hours/week, from September 2022 to December 2022.
Deadline to apply is August 9th, 2022.
View the posting for details.
Job Description: UARR is seeking a creative, curious, and motivated student who is interested in gaining experience with education systems, anti-racism, anti-oppressive work, policy analysis and community outreach. The student will work closely with the Project Coordinator to work on the REBuilding the Education System project which seeks to build racial equity in the education system and create systemic change. As the Youth Organizer you will be working with racialized communities who have been directly impacted by the education system and coordinating and planning peer outreach activities for youth in the Greater Toronto Area. You will also have the opportunity to work with school board trustees to advance a key actionable policy area within Toronto, York or Peel school boards.
- Directly work with students and parents to assist them with navigating racial equity issues and their legal rights within the school system
- Conduct research on the barriers within the education and justice system impacting young people in Ontario
- Host workshops on school boards and advocacy building for students and parents
- Plan and implement outreach and engagement activities with culturally, religiously and linguistically diverse youth in the GTA
- Coordinate the planning, implementation and progress of the anti-racism education initiatives aimed to increase public awareness about racial inequities and related solutions in education
- Coordinate various research related to educational policies and promising practices
- Support youth leadership initiatives and other duties as assigned
- Strong community-based research skills
- Experience in working on research projects, especially in anti-racism, anti-oppression and education
- Experience in working with various diverse communities, especially on youth leadership programs
- Ability to work independently, problem-solve and pay attention to detail
- Experience in writing statements and brief policy documents
- Knowledge of inequities in the Ontario primary and secondary school curriculum an asset*
Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
Deadline to apply: August 9th, 2022
***Priority will be given to applicants who have faced barriers in the education system.
UARR is committed to employment equity & encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.